Paying for your lawn to be looked after?

Sponsored Links
Pray share a simple summary :)

You have a lawn yourself don't you?

I can tell.

The clue is in "best secret he ever told me".

Oh, go on then. I can share the secret with you, but only you mind. Wouldn't want the rest of the internets knowing about this now would we.

If you could send a £20note I will write the briefest of your summaries on it, together with pictures & diagrams & all sorts of stuff.

My wife's grandfather was head gardener at Sandringham Palace for a long time and he told my wife when she was a child that the secret to a good lawn is water and mow regularly.
Before the first cut of the season rake through and dead grass and moss but don't put them on your compost heap. The first cut should be no more than 1/3rd of the height of the grass, use a grass box to collect the trimmings don't let them lay on the lawn. Lightly water the whole area but do not soak. A few days later, (2 or 3), give it another cut, again 1/3rd of the height and lightly water. On the next cut you can lower the blade to your required final height and just repeat the above. For best results mow at least twice a week and keep the soil slightly moist. If you leave the grass for long periods without cutting it will grow straggly and weak and may not recover.

First picture was two years ago after we had taken down our 'above ground' swimming pool. Second is how it looked late in the evening 2 days ago.

P1020152.JPG P1020818.JPG

Sponsored Links
Out of desperation I got Greenthumb into mine when we first bought our house and it was a waste of money. £25 for every visit which was essentially an application of a "secret formula" (actual quote) and nothing else. The visit took 10 mins. When I heard him say "secret formula" I cancelled it.

Two years ago my lawn looked like this. It was flooding, the grass was poor and it was a misery to look at:

IMG_2888.jpg

Last week it looked like this. My routine over the past two years is an application of Autumn feed around Sept/Oct to prevent moss in Winter (important!), a final cut in November/early Dec, then the lawn is dormant, then in spring a first few cuts, applying a dose of 4-1 in late April and then again in late May/early June, cutting regularly 3 or 4 times a week at the height of the season (never taking more than a third off), and a dose of Autumn feed at the end of the season. Feed spreaders are essential to get the right amount down. I also aerated my lawn and brushed in sand which may not be a problem for you if you don't have flooding (we're in a valley on a flood plain).

IMG_2152.JPG

Looking good cwhaley. The sand helps breakdown and clay lumps so a good routine you have there.

Here’s mine now, old and new, to be honest you can hardly notice where they join:
247687B1-B5FC-4769-AD40-954DB54FE5AB.jpeg

FF4E2425-A397-47E2-8569-CEAAD2E1EC71.jpeg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back