PC will not post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Tried to turn my desktop pc on earlier tonight, and it will not go to post. There's no beep either to go into the bios. There is power to the pc as the fan for the power supply and the heat sink spins. The computer remains on and the only way to turn it off is by the switch on the power supply or at the mains.
Only one of the three optical drive trays will eject. The monitor says "No Signal. Check the signal cable!" I have tried to plug the VGA connector to the onboard VGA and still comes up with the same message.
Any ideas on what could be wrong? I have opened up the case to check all the connections on the leads etc, and they seem fine.
The spec of the pc is

Asrock K7VM2 motherboard
1.5GB DDR Ram
AMD Athlon CPU (can't remember the speed of the processor)
MSI RX9250 256MB AGP graphics card
Windows XP SP3 (kept up to date)

Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mr_vampy

Sponsored Links
sounds like 5v loss out of the psu, get a meter on the wires and test them, to start the psu out of the pc short the green wire to one of the blacks

Sponsored Links
A couple of months ago, we had a power surge and I initially thought the PSU was at fault. My mate tested the power outputs on the PSU and they all registered correctly. Although the correct voltages were present, it wasn't supplying them at the correct amperage.
I replaced the PSU only to find that the power surge had also fubar'd the motherboard and CPU. :( :(

Thank you to all your replies. I had a suspicion it could be the PSU but wasn't sure. I wouldn't have a clue how to check with meters. Looks like I will have to take it to a shop to be look at. Any idea on how much it would cost to buy and fit a new PSU.
Thanks again.

Nice solution, let us know what about it now? Is it working well or not?

Sponsored Links
Back