Which computer base unit should i get, AMD or Intel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to get a new base unit within the next week or two. I've been to two local independent computer shops and they've given me quotes for a base unit. One is built around an AMD processor and the other is Intel.

The first is an AMD X245 Athlon Dual Core 64bit CPU on an Asrock N68C-S UCC AM2/3 motherboard with 2GB DDR2 memory, onboard 256MB graphics, 250GB Sata Hard Disk, two 24x DVD Double Layer rewriter drive, Windows 7 Professional CD and licence. Black/Silver midi case. The price for this unit is £368 (or £378 if i want a 500GB Hard Disk)

The second is an Intel Celeron Dual Core E3300 2.5Ghz CPU on a Foxconn G41MX-F motherboard with 2GB DDR2 memory, onboard 256MB graphics, 250GB Sata Hard Disk, two 24x DVD Double Layer rewriter drive, Windows 7 Professional CD and licence. Black/Silver midi tower case. The price for this unit is £345.

I'm so confused with the processors and their speeds, that I would like to ask you guys which is the better one? How do these two CPUs compare? Which unit would you get?

Would appreciate any info/advice received. Thanks in advance.

mr_vampy

Sponsored Links
There isn't much in it between those two machines. I'd say the AMD may have a slightly higher clock speed, although whether or not this will really translate to faster processing of real-world tasks within Windows is another question.

Both machines are so similar that I'd recommend you go with whichever retailer you think is going to give you better after-sales support. You could get into enquiring about the exact brand of HDD, RAM, etc, but it's all pretty academic at the price point you're looking at.

All depends what you intend to use the computer for. If it's online games etc or any games, the AMD will beat the Intel hands down.
I've never been keen on onboard graphics though, I much prefer to have a good graphics card in the PCI Express slot. ;) ;) ;) ;)

All depends what you intend to use the computer for. If it's online games etc or any games, the AMD will beat the Intel hands down.
I've never been keen on onboard graphics though, I much prefer to have a good graphics card in the PCI Express slot. ;) ;) ;) ;)

That isn't true, not only can you not determine which manufacturer is better for gaming given that it varies vastly between models. But also if you were to take the top of the range Intel models and pitched them against the top of the range AMDs you would find exactly the opposite in almost every benchmark. Intel are miles ahead in terms of performance and are going to remain there for quite some time.

You really do need a dedicated graphics card to play most of the modern titles, I wouldn't even think twice about it, there are cards that cater for all budgets and you're going to get better performance out of a modern dedicated card.

Sponsored Links

That isn't true, not only can you not determine which manufacturer is better for gaming given that it varies vastly between models. But also if you were to take the top of the range Intel models and pitched them against the top of the range AMDs you would find exactly the opposite in almost every benchmark. Intel are miles ahead in terms of performance and are going to remain there for quite some time.

I think he's stuck back in the days of the Athlon XP and Pentium 4.

The first is an AMD X245 Athlon Dual Core 64bit CPU on an Asrock N68C-S UCC AM2/3 motherboard with 2GB DDR2 memory, onboard 256MB graphics, 250GB Sata Hard Disk, two 24x DVD Double Layer rewriter drive, Windows 7 Professional CD and licence. Black/Silver midi case. The price for this unit is £368 (or £378 if i want a 500GB Hard Disk)

FWIW

my desktop in england is the same setup exept the size of the HD

and it performs faultlessly ;)

As always with base units, it's all about what you intend to use it for. As already said, they're both very similarly spec'ed, both are essentially budget spec'ed machines and they'll be fine for general net browsing, MS Office use, etc.

Just for comparison, you could get something like this for a very similar price, quad core processor, more memory, bigger hard drive :-

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/packard-bell-imedia-a3622-uk-04897049-pdt.html#tab-tech-specs

I know some people don't like PC world, and some don't like Packard Bell, but who's to say the stuff from the local guy will be better or worse? You pays your money and takes your choice...

Hey m8
Overall it's about what you want the new PC for.
These days I always recommend laptops rather than desktop, they come with the same if not more spec.

I tend to go with Intel processors myself and recommend them, HOWEVER stay away from Intel Celeron which is what the E3300 is, they are cut down versions of the full processor, you may not notice the performance difference straight away but over time the processor can't keep up.

Intel and AMD do have Processor spec tables on their website, you can check them out to get an idea
The intel one is here

Hey m8
These days I always recommend laptops rather than desktop, they come with the same if not more spec.

.. if you're willing to spend 30% more, sure.

Intel and AMD do have Processor spec tables on their website, you can check them out to get an idea
The intel one is here

Totally pointless to try and directly compare the CPUs like that.

Hey m8
Lappy's come with their own peculiar inherent problems though.
More prone to overheating (unless you keep the grills clear) Usually onboard graphics, (Not usually upgradeable).
Lack of expansion slots.
Anything goes wrong and you have to send it back.
IE keyboard stops working, lappy goes back.
My desktop,,, keyboard stops working?? Buy a cheapo from Asda for £3, problem solved.

And you recommend them???????????????????
;) ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey m8
Lappy's come with their own peculiar inherent problems though.
More prone to overheating (unless you keep the grills clear) Usually onboard graphics, (Not usually upgradeable).
Lack of expansion slots.
Anything goes wrong and you have to send it back.
IE keyboard stops working, lappy goes back.
My desktop,,, keyboard stops working?? Buy a cheapo from Asda for £3, problem solved.

And you recommend them???????????????????
;) ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You can plug an external keyboard or monitor into a laptop..

But I agree, a laptop is hard to upgrade. Intel/AMD both have their plusses/minuses. personal choice.

I think Intel is the best compare to it. It does not create any problems. It works very well. I like its performance so this is the best option for you. But, I have no more idea about AMD. So, I am suggesting to you Intel.

Sponsored Links
Back