PD in a NP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of buying a 60s estate bungalow that falls within Dartmoor National Park.

We want to extend (or possibly just place a conservatory) to the rear. I have read the Permitted Development Guidance and will make sure the plans stay within the requirements. But there is one bit that confuses me .....

A.2 In the case of a dwellinghouse on article 1(5) land, development is not permitted by Class A if -

1. (a) it would consist of or include the cladding of any part of the exterior of the dwellinghouse with stone, artificial stone, pebble dash, render, timber, plastic or tiles;

This seems to basically say you CAN'T build because surely you will use one of those exterior finishes! Or is it OK to leave it bare brick or breeze block but not render it to match the rest of the house! I can understand the need to ensure structures are in keeping with an area but this is a 60's housing estate were talking about! Why don't they just say "if its in a NP you have to go through Full Planning and have done with it! Am I reading this right?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody. So if I build an extension and match it to the render of the rest of the house that is not cladding so no problemo. I didn't even know there was such a thing as render or pebbledash cladding!

Sponsored Links
Good to know FMT - Motivates us to stay within PD rather than risk getting them involved. Are Building Control as bad? South West Water ( for build-over agreement)?

Always thought "cladding" was when something was mechanically fixed to a wall and render / pebbledash not cladding but I can see that doesn't hold true.

In another post it's mentioned that class A PD is excluded in an AONB. Does that apply to a National Park too?

According to Google:

In the case of a dwellinghouse on article 2(3) land, development is not permitted by Class A if—

(a)it would consist of or include the cladding of any part of the exterior of the dwellinghouse with stone, artificial stone, pebble dash, render, timber, plastic or tiles;

(b)the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would extend beyond a wall forming a side elevation of the original dwellinghouse; or

(c)the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would have more than a single storey and extend beyond the rear wall of the original dwellinghouse.

Article 2(3) is defined as land within a National Park, the Broads, an area of outstanding natural beauty, an area designated as a conservation area and land within World Heritage Sites

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back