PDR - Does this constitute a WRAP AROUND?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone - a PDR question - rear single storey extension which also extends to the side We propose using the rear wall of the existing bungalow and extending that to the side to make the front wall of the extension. It will therefore 'overlap' the side elevation to the extent of two bricks and the cavity. Would this be construed as being a 'wrap around' Anyone got the answer to that one or any informed opinion please or can anyone even understand the question - not sure if we've made it clear? The scheme otherwise accords with all PDR rules Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I don't really follow your proposals however you may find this document useful. A development is either PD or its is not and requires planning permission. You cannot lawfully build something under PD and just say well it nearly complies.

Thank you Freddy - which document are you referring to - nothing attached? I will try again - Imagine a rectangular bungalow. We wish to add a rectangular extension on to the rear BUT we wish to push that extension along the back wall of the property so it protrudes beyond a side elevation. Can we use the rear wall of the existing bungalow as the build line to the side or would that constitute a wrap around even though it would only overlap by the thickness of the rear wall? Or would we have to build a new wall behind the rear wall of the existing property to ensure no overlap? Is that clearer and thanks again for the speedy reply Freddy - only just joined this site and this is first attempt

Sponsored Links
Yeah I've studied that document already Freddy. On page 25 of that document IF the extension did NOT extend more than half the width of the original house it would then fall within PDR (provided all the other conditions were met etc)?

However - the question still remains - look at where the front wall of the extension intersects the corner of the original house - is that a wrap around? :confused:

If I understand correctly then no I don't think you can do this under PD. Why do you want it to go forward of the rear elevation of the property anyway though by just 300mm?

Why not just do as per page 25 but keeping within the width limits?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back