Creating a wrap around single storey extension under PD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is kind of a follow on question from another thread I started but thought it would be cleaner to start a fresh.

Could someone please point out to me any experience they have in dealing with applications where the house is an L shape at the rear and wanting to do a rear single storey wrap around extension such that the two original walls meet to make a square.

Using the extension to temporary Permitted Development rules, why can you not have one 8m wall on one side and a 4m wall on the other side of the L shape to then make a square rear?

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/neighbour_consultation_scheme_guidance_may13.pdf

I looked here and couldn't find proper reference to it. Closest I found was page 16.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Because the infill is both a rear extension (which can be up to 8m deep under prior consultation) and a side extension (which can only be up to 50% of the width of the part of the house that is extended sideways).

Has to satisfy both. You'd have thought if it qualified under one, then the other wouldn't matter, but unfortunately not.

Bizarre but true.

Cheers
Richard

1. Sorry for being draft on this matter and again thank you for your informed feedback, I do value it, but how can I interpret this for myself? There must surely be some guidelines that states this, if not in the above technical document, then somewhere else?

2. If you have an L shape that has been knocked over to the left side, which side do you refer to as side ways because technically they are both side ways?

3. Can I then choose then which side I want to go back 8m and leave the other at 4m (PD)?

4, Finally is it your view that both sides can be 8m long on condition that the two walls dont touch, so a 50mm gap (albeit very ugly)?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Apologies yes I did post the wrong link and yes the one you posted was the one I meant to direct to - page 16.

Can you please clarify or me which page explains wrap around extensions specifically?

Well, I'm not aware that wrap around extensions are excluded, per se. But the restrictions on widths and depths usually make them unworkable.

geraldthehamster,

In the above diagram then, are you saying that wall A or Wall is the side extension and the other is the rear even though this is all all one house and not an extension itself (except the solid blue area)?

Also is the definition of a wrap around extension everything in my diagram EXCEPT the proposed 4m behind the blue solid area?

are you saying that wall A or Wall is the side extension and the other is the rear even though this is all all one house and not an extension itself (except the solid blue area)?

No, I'm saying that I didn't understand your confusing description, and you should now ignore my reply and pay attention to my betters ;)

Cheers
Richard

But I found your information very useful and helpful.....not sure why my description is confusing, is my diagram not clear enough? Happy to clarify....

Extension C - the 4m extension marked 'not PD' would be PD if it was on its own. And, as far as I know, it could also wrap around the corner and meet with a rear extension (thus creating a wrap around extension) as long as the width of the whole rear elevation was not more than half the width of the house. So, it's doable but you couldn't extend across the whole of the rear.

I've been told extension C is not PD because it would be coming off a second generation extension (blue shaded) as its not the original wall.

Also the half width thing, again I have been told that its half the width of the original house but because as others have said here, the void area is regarded as a side and not rear, it might just be half of the furthest wall.

Bloody convoluted rules and regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back