Peak Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that today, Gove won his battle to stop assisting the Saudi prison service despite serious opposition within cabinet.

Sponsored Links
I would further ask, if this old man is to be flogged for possessing some wine, do they also intend to flog all the princes and other 'VIPs' who have gone abroad to drink alcohol in contravention of their religious beliefs?

Hypocrisy is rife in every society and well connected people everywhere avoid prosecution.

If my wife had actually raped someone, or consciously and knowingly been transporting alcohol contrary to the law of the country, she could hardly complain about the law being applied to her, especially if she was there as an economic migrant.

In this particular case, punishing the victim does not apply.

Sponsored Links
Heard today that it is common for Saudis to just go to UAE for a booze up.
The hypocrisy is outstanding.
Sounds like common sense to me. Why would you want to risk a thousand lashes and a spell in a Saudi nick.

Its funny isn't it that only a few posts back, the RWR were bleating about foreigners in the UK and their inability to integrate into our way of living.

Yes EFLI, the hypocrisy IS outstanding.

that if you don't approve of unjust laws and barbaric punishments, you don't go and live in Saudi Arabia.
I wholeheartedly agree with that and you'll never catch me there.

However, if you had gone there and your wife was raped, would you accept that she should be punished?

Should we not complain about Mugabe and his like?

To appease the Muslims, JohnD would probably punish his wife himself. :evil:

Ok. I was going to say that it is not just a law passed by an unreasonable government but it is their beliefs which cause this way of thinking.

However, perhaps there is hope - in that some of the population are rejecting these beliefs and when they don't actually have to abide by them, ignore them.

So, maybe they just have to get rid of their leaders.
On the other hand, if it is these leaders who are doing the same, then that IS the ususal hypocrisy.

sadly, citizens can suffer the most ferocious and fatal punishment if they criticise the state or the established religion, or advocate change.

Not unlike England in Tudor times.

When was flogging abolished in the Royal Navy and in British prisons?

Last edited:
Heard today that it is common for Saudis to just go to UAE for a booze up.
The hypocrisy is outstanding.
Sounds like common sense to me. Why would you want to risk a thousand lashes and a spell in a Saudi nick.

Its funny isn't it that only a few posts back, the RWR were bleating about foreigners in the UK and their inability to integrate into our way of living.

Yes EFLI, the hypocrisy IS outstanding.

Not really, unless those who go to other countries to bet bladdered are government ministers who voted for the alcohol ban. The chances are that a significant minority might like alcohol and have the ban imposed on them. Just as some Brits go to Holland for shum shmokes. Do you call them hypocrits? Nah. But then these is Muslims, and you is just picking on Muslims, innit blud? :)

1948 and 1967

The last flogging in a British prison was in 1962.

Other parts of the British Isles were later.

Schoolchildren were beaten later.
Some people believe this contributed to the popularity of "the British vice."

? Nah. But then these is Muslims, and you is just picking on Muslims, innit blud? :)
Don't really understand ampsher but -

it is muslims who are/were going to flog this old man - a subject being discussed.

English people going to Holland do not profess a religious belief which is against drugs.

Last edited:
? Nah. But then these is Muslims, and you is just picking on Muslims, innit blud? :)
Don't really understand ampsher but -

it is muslims who are/were going to flog this old man - a subject being discussed.

English people going to Holland do not profess a religious belief which is against drugs.

Firstly the comment to nosebleed was humour.

Secondly, it was actually Saudis, but you prefer to focus on the Muslim aspect due to your hatred of Muslims. Saudi Arabia is a pretty vile regime, as are many of those countries. It is not so much a question of their religion, but the fact that those who rule the country are a small corrupt mafia, supported by the West. In many of those countries the regimes were created by Western imperialism. The Iranian West backed regime collapsed, and extremist nutters took over. Sounds familiar? A bit like much of Africa really, and there has been barbarism in Africa not involving Muslims, but best ignore that because it does not fit our prejudices. Mass murder of Muslims by Christians has occurred recently, but it does not fit our Muslimophobic stance. Cos we know Muslim = bad, Christian = good. Incidentally there are huge numbers of violent attacks on Muslims in Britain, mostly unreported, and on Jews too, again mostly unreported.

As for doing things against their religion, I guess that makes most Catholics hypocrits then? Ah, but they is not Muslims, so they is not bad. Simples.

I feel that you are getting over-excited and confusing me with someone else.

I am not at all anti-muslim - meaning the people in general - (phobic is not the right word) but I am against all forms of religious nonsense.
Yes, catholics are hypocritical as well.
Why have we not heard about attacks on Jews? That does not make sense.

The muslims of today can be compared to the Irish in the recent past in as much as if it is they who are doing things wrong then it is they who are going to be discussed.
Not all the Irish people planted bombs in pubs and hotels but those who did were Irish.

You are falling into the same trap, as those who go off on a rant at every mention of muslims, by equating justified criticism with an attack on the people as a whole.

So, if some fervent believers, who want to convert us all by force, nip across a border and flout their beliefs then they deserve to be criticised.
Defending them regardless is just as bad as maligning them regardless.

So, if some fervent believers, who want to convert us all by force, nip across a border and flout their beliefs then they deserve to be criticised.

your attacks on one of the world's religions has nothing to do with Peak Oil.

No fervent believers, and no evangelists, are relevant to this thread.

If you want to start a thread about people who cross a border and flout the beliefs of the indigenous population, feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back