Peculiar wall damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, sorry for the long winded post. We have recently purchased a new home, 60s detached and working through the jobs to bring it up to scratch.

Our bedroom wall had a patch around 6inches from the ceiling where the paint had bubbled and looked foam like and black marks appeared. There was also possible signs of damp around a foot below it; the rusty stain type but nothing major. The area in question is where the chimney runs up the outside of the building but there doesn’t appear to be damp. That said, I recently cleaned out all the gutters and they were particularly bad so may have resulted in them over flowing previously.

Anyway I thought I would sand the foaming paint and I ended up locating two old nails which were below the surface of the interior wall but were well in so I needed to dig around them and pull them out with pliers and a lot of force.
The nails were old and I assume their corrosion affected the paint and plaster surface.

The resulting holes were cold and damp so I have left it untreated to air and potentially dry out.
I am at a loss though as the wall is otherwise in good condition with no damp but the holes I have made were quite sandy and perhaps not the brick I was expecting to find.
I have only ever had reasonably new houses so I am unsure what the make up of the wall would be.

Usually I would use poly filler and make it right but I have a niggle that there may be something needing further investigation.

Am I being too cautious or does anyone feel it would need more investigating? No leaks or damp on the walls and the floor under suspended ground floor is dry and dusty.
I think it is the fact the wall feels sandy that is playing in my mind.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
plastic_peanut, good evening.

Sorry no immediate answers, just some questions?

Can you post digital images of the areas internally that are of concern, a long shot and close ups if possible please??

The chimney you mention? is the flue in use? or redundant? if the latter? is the chimney flue vented at the old fireplace + is the chimney pot capped and vented?

Rusting deteriorating nails in the wall "could" indicate the wall is damp.

Do you know if the wall [if it is a cavity brick wall] has had retro-filled cavity insulation? [an image of the external wall could assist?

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply, I will attach some pictures but not much to see really.
The fire is a relatively recent gas fire and I assume the flue is in good working condition venting at the chimney. The top of the chimney brick work does need looking at which is a job for the new year but I believe the flashing to be intact and all brickwork below the facia board is all fine.

Unsure on the cavity wall in honesty but There is no evidence of a cavity insulation being installed. No mortar plugs in the mortar etc.

Attachments

• 0C8D8AD4-4548-4CF3-B9EA-9F9C6203E35E.jpeg
    0C8D8AD4-4548-4CF3-B9EA-9F9C6203E35E.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 269
  • 87C0B9D9-7DD2-4544-9E84-2327E0FD28DC.jpeg
    87C0B9D9-7DD2-4544-9E84-2327E0FD28DC.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 97B52DEA-6340-4906-B2A8-F5228600369B.jpeg
    97B52DEA-6340-4906-B2A8-F5228600369B.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 217
It could be that the chimney dpc has failed and water is penetrating down through the bricks , rusting the nails and causing the staining and bubbling.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back