Peeling paint nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I've moved into a property where the conservatory paint was peeling off the wall. I thought it would be a simple job of brushing the dry flakes off, sanding (by hand), washing with sugar soap and painting.

I started off by vacuuming the bits on the floor and then realised that most of the paint on the wall (1 layer) would vacuum right off to the bare plaster (plaster?). But some of it wont budge that easily but I seem able to chip away at it, but that seems like a gruelling slow process.

So I applied some paint stripper to a fairly small part, but it's made a gigantic rubbery mess I now can't even remove from the wall.

No idea how to proceed.
I don't have power tools.

Advice super appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is it a rental or is it yours?

If its a rental then the landlord needs to sort it.

The problem looks to be a case of not mist soaking the new plaster. Mist is a water paint mix, the science being that 100% paint on the first coat will film over the plaster. The mist coat being watery binds in to the plaster and acts as a glue between the plaster and the next (first) coat of 100% paint.

The solution is scrapers, heavy duty brush, sanding (best with a power obital sander and vac attachement) and then washing down.

It's a rubbish task and patience will be required. If you attempt to paint over a mix of bare wall and wall with patches of the old surface it will notice.

The way round that is to do all the above and then if necessary use heavy lining paper to create and flat painting surface. Lining paper doesn't need a mist coat. First coat on lining paper can be some simple white emulsion which is cheap than any colour, and mostly gets absorbed in to the paper.

Had ceiling like that after removing polystyrene tiles, one pass with a good quality power orbital sander did the job much easier than I expected. By good quality I mean something around the £150 mark, so a picture might b cheaper.

Thank you so much Chri5 - super helpful. Yes, it is indeed a rental but I know for a fact the landlady wouldn't do a thing about it. She pretty much said I can do any painting in the house I like to do. The rest of house house is actually ok - just ghastly nasty colours so I'm busy painting over that, but it's going well with no issues there.

I'm in here long term (I hope) and can't live with the conservatory mess so need to sort it out. It's not an enormous conservatory with huge walls, so I better just get at it then I guess....
Thank you foxhole - that's helpful too. I'm definitely not going to spend so much money on something I'll only ever use once. But might see if I can hire one for a day.

Sponsored Links
You could treat yourself to a multi-tool that has some of the sanding triangles. It'll take longer than a larger electric sander, take less time than doing it by hand AND you have a really useful tool in your collection than can do a whole host of great stuff - cutting wood, hacking out grout, cutting tiles, sanding. Loads.

Nozzle

Nozzle - at the risk of sounding ignorant - can you give me an example please? If you wouldn't mind....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back