Peeling paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Ive recently moved into a house of my own, thought I'd decorate the main bedroom.
Put up a curtain rail. Then a couple of months later noticed it coming off the wall.
So prepared the wall and used polyfiller on the wall where the holes were and where the paint had peeled away.

Now its happened again today.

The paint seems to be two or possibly three layers thick and its peeling off the plaster, i reckon i could peel it all across the wall if i wanted to.

Where the holes were drilled the plaster seems really soft and im not surprised its not holding any curtains up.

Ive attached two photos.

What can i do to stop the peeling paint?
The plaster on show now is really smooth to touch, it has a shiny finish. I expected this to be rough

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1451989012444556091758.jpg
    1451989012444556091758.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 260
  • 14519890601301304979486.jpg
    14519890601301304979486.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's no use drilling into plaster, you have to drill into the wall. How long are your screws and plugs?

If you are putting emulsion paint onto plaster, you have to thin the first one or two coats with water so they sink in. This is called a Mist Coat.

You can take the shine off polished plaster by rubbing lightly it with the finest possible grade of sandpaper. 600 grade wet and dry is sold by places that do car touch-up paints, it is fine enough that it will not leave noticeable scratches, and you can rinse the dust off when it clogs (it is black, and waterproof).

Hi thanks for your reply.
The opposite side to the curtain pole has held fine. Screws are 1" and 1/2.

Attachments

• 1451993433219556091758.jpg
    1451993433219556091758.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 209
that appears to be a plasterboard plug, not a wall plug.

It is designed to collapse and shorten when tightened.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you may be a bit of a DIY beginner, yes? Hope this doesn't sound patronising...
To fix something heavy like a loaded curtain pole to your wall you will need to drill a hole (with a masonry bit) at least an inch into the brickwork. The plaster alone is not strong enough to support more than a picture frame. I don't know how thick your curtain pole brackets are, but I'm guessing you may need 2 inch screws to penetrate far enough. (The area above windows is notorious for having small cavities right where you want to put the screw, in which case you need even longer screws or to squeeze filler into the cavity first. Hanging things on walls can be a real pain).
You should be able to buy suitable wall plugs from the same place as the screws. If they don't state the sizes on the packet, ask someone nearby for assistance!

The paint may be peeling because the plaster was not properly primed before being painted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back