Fix peeling paint

GDN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive recently had the bathroom renovated which included having the walls skimmed. After letting it dry (around 3 weeks) I've applied 2 matt emulsion mist coats and 2 top coats of bathroom paint. Two days later I noticed the paint edge by the door frame was lifting away, and with some gentle scraping it peeled right off. Its peeled away about 2-3 cm but the rest of the room seems ok. It doesn't seem to want to peel back further than 2-3cm so not sure if that area of plaster just wasn't fully dry?! Its peeled right back to plaster so clearly the must coat hasn't taken in that area. What is the correct way to fix this? The bathroom paint is soft sheen and tin says it can be diluted for fresh plaster. Do I remist the affect area or apply something else instead/ as well? any help or reasons why it happened appreciated. The white in the picture is the door frame.

20200502_134112.jpg

Sponsored Links
This will sort it. Pva bond on new plaster.

Attachments

• B5C63253-2C80-4B2D-A2B9-47206AE8AEBD.jpeg
    B5C63253-2C80-4B2D-A2B9-47206AE8AEBD.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 64
  • C9721770-D91C-4BAA-B2D3-851FEFD990DD.jpeg
    C9721770-D91C-4BAA-B2D3-851FEFD990DD.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 79
Personally I would dilute some emulsion.

PVA on surfaces to be painted can be disastrous.

Sponsored Links
plasterers often use PVA, especially on painted surfaces or where their new plaster meets old.

the ones who leave it on the surface have mostly been killed by angry decorators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back