Paint peeling off bathroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have trouble with paint peeling off my bathroom wall. Ive decorated it a couple of times but now all the layers of paint have peeled off (see photo). Obversely its best to peel all the paint off back to the plaster but what do i do next? It looks like the plaster was never mist coated so should i do a mist coat or use a primer like BIN?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Photo 11-09-2016, 16 56 26.jpg
    Photo 11-09-2016, 16 56 26.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 287
Sponsored Links
When I have come across this issue, I have taken paint back as far as possible, lightly sanded remaining painted surface, applied zinsser 123 as a primer. And so far on three or four projects, this issue has not reoccurred!

The other thing worth considering is making sure you've a good extractor fan for the damp air in a bathroom. It also can help :)

Thanks for your replys. Im going to peel all the paint and get back to the plaster as its coming off like wall paper!! Does the zinsser 123 go straight onto the plaster with a roller or paintbrush? I'm upgrading my extractor fan as well.

Sponsored Links
I have the same problem
I intend to peel it off and then mist coat with emulsion.
If you must use 123 then I would dilute it. I used it on a dodgy ceiling once and it dried too quick and peeled off.
Do you think there is any chance that some herbert has sealed the plaster with PVA?

Managed to peel it all off. Going to mist coat then prime it. ( not sure if that's overkill !!!))

Hopefully will try it out this weekend if I'm not working. Once I try it I will let you know what it's like

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back