peeling paint bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved house (its 102 years old) Its been decorated within the last few years throughout in magnolia which is cracking and peeling in places. The bathroom is terrible though. Its falling off the ceiling and big patches missing on every wall. It looks like no undercoat has been used as it peels off it big strips (like its a latex paint) and is bare plaster underneath. Ive tried steaming it today which softens it and i can literally peel it off the wall in big sections so it shouldnt take too long to strip it

I want to make sure the next paint job stays on. Ive done a bit of research and read about zinser primer and a mist layer. Do i need to mist it first and then apply zinser primer or just one of them?

I planning on using an acrylic eggshell for the top coat. There are 4 of us who shower every day so it gets a lot of use.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to fit a powerful extractor before you paint it.

There is a big extractor already fitted not to mention a completely rotten winow frame that blows a gale through the large gaps so plenty of air. There's hardly any mould after 6 months just the paint peeling off so I assume it wasn't prepped correctly in the first place. All new plasterboard underneath. Just dont want to have to keep redoing it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back