Peeling paint in bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bathroom with a shower cubicle which has paint peeling from the ceiling.
I have scraped off as much as I can and ready to go on to the next step but would like some advice please as a novice.

I will try and smooth down the existing paint edges before using a filler but which paint can anyone suggest to use as a primer before coating over with a bathroom paint?
I was thinking of using a Damp Seal paint but not sure if that would be suitable as a primer. I read about 'Mist coating' but not sure how to do this.
I would like to also prevent the existing paint there from peeling off in the near future.

Brand names paints is suggested please.
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you have an extractor fitted? If not the problem is probably going to come back.

I have a bathroom with a shower cubicle which has paint peeling from the ceiling.
I have scraped off as much as I can and ready to go on to the next step but would like some advice please as a novice.

I will try and smooth down the existing paint edges before using a filler but which paint can anyone suggest to use as a primer before coating over with a bathroom paint?
I was thinking of using a Damp Seal paint but not sure if that would be suitable as a primer. I read about 'Mist coating' but not sure how to do this.
I would like to also prevent the existing paint there from peeling off in the near future.

Brand names paints is suggested please.
Thanks
A professional painter would most likely PVA the surface first to ensure that whatever primer/paint you use sticks.

Alternatively you could use Zinsser Peel stop which is pretty much watered down PVA.

Personally when I had this issue, I used Zinsser Gardz, I then applied a mist coat to the plaster before finishing with Zinsser Perma White

For a belt and braces approach, you could use Zinsser cover stain as your primer after the mist coat.

FYI, I am not being paid by Zinsser :cool:

Sponsored Links
A professional painter would most likely PVA the surface first to ensure that whatever primer/paint you use sticks.

Alternatively you could use Zinsser Peel stop which is pretty much watered down PVA.

Personally when I had this issue, I used Zinsser Gardz, I then applied a mist coat to the plaster before finishing with Zinsser Perma White

For a belt and braces approach, you could use Zinsser cover stain as your primer after the mist coat.

FYI, I am not being paid by Zinsser :cool:

A decent professional decorator would never use PVA as a primer.

I would recommend either using diluted emulsion over the filler or Leyland Trade acrylic primer, then apply two coats of Dulux Trade waterbased eggshell. Perma White will work but is more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back