Penetrating damp from party parapet wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We have spotted some damp spots in our bathroom. This is on a party wall with no pipe this side, so I figure this is penetrating damp downwards from the parapet above. And indeed, on inspection I can see some damage on the gutter valley and cracking mortar.

1. Please have a look at the valley, this is not lead valley but something like asphalt (?) that you can walk on. What should I use to patch it up, bituminous mastic?

2. The mortar cracks along the line where this valley meet the parapet wall. I can repoint it, but wonder if there is any treatment I can do to seal the porous structure inside (that allow rain water to seep downward)? I have heard a builder said chemical filler but not sure what type it is.

3. On the other side of the parapet wall I can see it has been repaired like this before (see photo Repair). Would that work and what sort of material is that?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Valley.JPG
    Valley.JPG
    646.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Mortar crack.JPG
    Mortar crack.JPG
    602.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Repair.JPG
    Repair.JPG
    625.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Mortar crack 2.JPG
    Mortar crack 2.JPG
    671.2 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
stand back and pic both sides of the parapt and the roofs next to it.is there a chimney stack?nearly everything in the pics needs repairing plus the pointing is a joke.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back