Peogeot 406 clutch slipping.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a few 405/406s and they have experienced slipping clutches usually at 150k miles or more.

Current one is only 94 k though.

Its getting worse but at first once allowed to slip for a few seconds started to grip better. Now it has to be driven carefully and in lower gears.

Changing the clutch at main dealers solves the problem.

Does anyone know why clutches slip on this model so frequently and why changing them cures the problem. Thats the only model of car I have ever had a slipping clutch problem with before.

There is no oil dripping from the housing and previous changes have been done with no complications.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I think that some people would be delighted if their clutch lasted so long Tony.....but it largely depends on how the car has been driven throughout its life. If you have been the only owner / driver then you may have a point about it being short lived. If its a turbo diesel vehicle you have to be aware of the massive torque available which can also shorten the clutch life, especially if it has seen a lot of stop / starting.
Anyway, who knows what quality Peugeot used during manufacture - they may have had a batch of inferior ones (but to the same specification) at some time...this certainly happened with Renault around 2000.
So long as you have a good quality replacement fitted, it will go round the clock again.
Cheers John :)

I have a Renault Laguna with 215k and a Peugeot 106 with 148k and an Astra with 104k. I have only had them for about 15-20k each and dont know the history.

Of all the many cars I have had the only ones I have had clutches replaced have been the 405/506s !

Current problem 406 has only been with me for about 3k ! I am always very careful with clutches. BBC 405 did 94k with me for three years and the replacement did 84k before I left.

Tony

is it the HDI? if so 94K is about right, had mine done a couple of months ago at 93 1/2K the mechanic said it was good to get that high 85-90 is the norm apparently, not too bad considering I tow a caravan with it.

mines a 53plate, and it was the thrust bearing that gave up, although there wasnt much left on the clutch when it was removed (almost but not quite down to the rivets)

I consider myself to be kind on clutches, have had an extra 10K out of a toyota after it started slipping before it was too bad to use safely.

Sponsored Links
The previous three were done after 2005 and all cost under £210.

This time the cheapest repair starts at £550 and if the flywheel needs changing it will be almost £1000.

Takes 4.5 hours at £97 an hour plus a massive £280 for the clutch kit.

Thats about 250% inflation over four years!

Even Mr Clutch seems to charge over £400 and has only a 35% satisfaction level.

Tony

mine cost me about 450.

apparently its a pig to change because the mechanism works the other way around to most cars.

what clutch are you getting, I bought mine for the mechanic (rush job 3 days till I went on holiday) cost £180 plus VAT at the local motorfactors plus another £10 for a shim that isnt included with the kit but needs doing at the same time.

thats only 3 months ago.

The Peugeot recon clutch at £140 was not available so he discounted the £280 new one to £180.

Tony

Back