PERFORATED STEEL PLATFORM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building some stairs made with steel stringers and wood plank treads At the top there is a small platform before you step up to the landing. I want to use perforated steel instead of wood for that area.

It is only 700 x 750mm with two steel supports each 150mm wide under them but it needs to be strong enough to take an adult's weight.

I have tried an old 2mm thick scrap piece I found but it bows in the centre with any weight on it so what thickness would anyone recommend ? It will be bolted into the stringers in 6 places, 3 either side with only 330mm unsupported in the centre

Sponsored Links
Stainless steel perforated cable tray.

Perforated-Cable-Trays.jpg

I used it to make a 3 foot long bridge from a back door ( suspended floor ) to banked earth garden.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info. Mine is as much decorative as practical. although if I could get a cable tray 750mm (29.5 inches) lomg by 700mm (27.5 inches) wide it could work. But it needs the round perforated holes to allow light thro ( I said decorative).

I really need to know the thickness of the steel to make it feel solid and secure. I am sure the 1mm thick piece of scrape which fits exactly would be OK but may not feel OK to some, 2 metres in the air with the slight bounce.

I can probably get some perforated stuff from a steel fabricators near me but I need to sound a bit like I know what I am talking about is case some guy tries to fob me me off with a thin bit of scrap from the bin. Do you know the thickness of the tray you used ? Thanks

Thanks for the info. Mine is as much decorative as practical. although if I could get a cable tray 750mm (29.5 inches) lomg by 700mm (27.5 inches) wide it could work. But it needs the round perforated holes to allow light thro ( I said decorative).

I really need to know the thickness of the steel to make it feel solid and secure. I am sure the 1mm thick piece of scrape which fits exactly would be OK but may not feel OK to some, 2 metres in the air with the slight bounce.

I can probably get some perforated stuff from a steel fabricators near me but I need to sound a bit like I know what I am talking about is case some guy tries to fob me me off with a thin bit of scrap from the bin. Do you know the thickness of the tray you used ? Thanks
You could use 3X9 inch trays welded together, much strong than a single span.

It was bought from Electrix and similar to THIS

I cannot find the exact match in the current Electrix catalog. The folded sides of the tray make it rigid and thus able to carry heavy loads without bending.

Thickness is 1.2 mm.

A good source would be an industrial electrical installer who may have offcuts.

If you need to let light through have you thought about thick toughened glass instead, your local glass merchant should be able to advise.

Thickness is mostly irrelevant - a flat plate will always bend easily.
The solution is to have the sides bent down at 90 degrees, similar to the tray.

It was bought from Electrix and similar to THIS

I cannot find the exact match in the current Electrix catalog. The folded sides of the tray make it rigid and thus able to carry heavy loads without bending.

Thickness is 1.2 mm.

A good source would be an industrial electrical installer who may have offcuts.

From memories of installing big armoured cables and lots of cable tray, in a previous life - there were two general types of galv electrical tray, the really lightweight stuff, the tray suggested above, then there was a much heavier duty version which had a doubled fold to the edge. So instead of just the edge folded at 90 deg at each side, it would be folded at 90, plus have a second fold back down. Rather like an upside down U, rolled edge.

It was strong enough to support multiple very large, heavy armoured cables and certainly strong enough to walk on.

The holes were punched from the top ( for cable use ) and this left slight burrs on the underside. Used in the bridge the underside was the upper surface that people walked on. Te burrs provided enough "grip" that even when wet the surface was non slip/

I am going down the fabricators to have a chat and look for off cuts. I now reckon,from what I have been told, as there is only 300mm unsupported between two 200mm supports a thicker sheet than 1mm, 3 or 4mm maybe, should be able to take the weight if it is bolted into the supports in at least three places either side or in some sort of frame which could strengthen it further.

I have another query on perforated steel which I will post separately. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back