Pergola Posts Equal Height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a large pergola towards the back of my garden, that goes the full width of the garden (roughly around 1065cm in width total).

I am looking at installing a post in each of the four corners firstly and then add in further posts at varying intervals to perform the structure. My issue I am not sure how to get around, is ensuring that the heights are completely level. The garden isn't completely straight and obviously digging the holes around 60cm deep, with 10cm filled with gravel and the other 50cm for the post below ground. I have dug the holes as close to 60cm as possible all around, but it's never going to be perfect - so not sure how to ensure all heights are the same heights - any advice?

If the posts were closer, I would get a board and add to the top and use a spirit level - but as they are stretched apart a lot - I can't do that?

The alternative would be to start adding in the middle posts first where I can use the board and spirit level approach, however I was hoping to do the corners first, to ensure all is completely squared etc.

What would you suggest?

Sponsored Links
I'm currently building a 6m x 4m Pergola. It is going to sit on a patio.

The patio is pretty level but not perfect. My approach is going to be to install the posts (already done) and then clamp the cross beams so that they are dead level, mark the posts and then notch them to hold the beam at that level and then trim the posts.

In short, it is the level of the crossbeams (and so the notching of the posts) that needs to be exact, rather than the tops of the posts.

As posted out above, a line level and string will get you level with the post heights (not an issue for me), but there is no point worrying too much about being dead level when you just want to ensure the cross beams are level.

ae235

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I usually put the posts in the ground near enough level, then trim the tops to suit. Long bit of wood and a spirit level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back