Pergola Height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at building a pergola and I am unsure what the maximum height should be. I've read online that this should be 2.5m, maximum if away from the perimeter of the house, so that you don't have to get planning permission.

My question is, I am not sure at what point that 2.5m should start? Where I am looking at adding my pergola, you have to take a small step onto the main garden where I plan on adding it. So would it be 2.5m from anywhere on my garden grass, or would this be from the bottom of the house?

I obviously just want to make sure I am doing this correctly. Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It would be the same as decking, the measurements is taken from the highest point where the pergola is to be erected

Thanks for your reply - so just to understand this correctly and use this in my own specific context. I have bought 3m posts, with the plan of digging down around 0.6m down into the ground, with roughly 0.1m worth of gravel to sit at the bottom and then 0.5m of the posts to then be underground - therefore leaving 2.5m above the ground - is this ok? I was just concerned that where I am putting this is slightly higher up than it would be if I attached this to my house for example. Appreciate your help.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply - so just to understand this correctly and use this in my own specific context. I have bought 3m posts, with the plan of digging down around 0.6m down into the ground, with roughly 0.1m worth of gravel to sit at the bottom and then 0.5m of the posts to then be underground - therefore leaving 2.5m above the ground - is this ok? I was just concerned that where I am putting this is slightly higher up than it would be if I attached this to my house for example. Appreciate your help.

If you take the highest ground adjacent to your pergola, you can go up 2.5m from there

So if you put a pergola post where the ground drops lower - you still take the ground level datum from the highest point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back