Pergola spacing? Max span?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
D02DBDBA-0783-41AA-A268-D06818F817FF.jpeg
Hi

I would like to build a timber pergola over our patio with a waterproof roof over. The spacing between posts would be 14ft max

Would this be deemed as to wide without additional support?

any advice on best practice.

thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Built them that size inside a couple of shops in the past.........

14 foot span would require something like 8 x 2 or 9 x 2 treated timbers (rough way to calculate: depth of joist = [span ÷ 2] + 2 all in inches). Uprights should be something like 4 x 4 treated timbers bedded in concrete. Add diagonal braces into the top corners for extra strength and rigidity (screwed in). I'd suggest using coach screws or coach bolts to connect the posts to the frame (ideally stainless steel or coated). If possible make your top frame parts from 3in thick stock. Notch the joists to fit over the frame and screw together using decking screws.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
14 foot span would require something like 8 x 2 or 9 x 2 treated timbers. Uprights should be something like 4 x 4 treated timbers bedded in concrete. Add diagonal braces into the top corners for extra strength and rigidity (screwed in). I'd suggest using coach screws or coach bolts to connect the posts to the frame (ideally stainless steel or coated) then notch the joists to fit over the frame and screw together using decking screws.

thanks. Great info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back