Pergola

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I would really like (my husband) to build a "modern" pergola in our garden.

The pergola is about 80ft from the house so we wanted it to look chunky and not get swallowed up by the garden as such.

The size is 3m deep by 6m long.

By modern i would prefer to have no support at the front i.e. diagonal bracing.

We had thought about using 200mm x 200mm oak posts and then a 6m oak beam horizontal across the front- does anyone have any recommendation on the size beam and feasibility of 6m long run?

I really don't want a support down the middle i.e. 3m as that will change the look significantly but an open to more "support at the side"

I have done lots of google load bearing but it hasn't yielded quite what im looking for, hence my arrival here.

There will be a roof consisting of 10mm twin wall, flooring joists and finished with roofing battens (to kind of hide the twin wall) we didnt want it to have a fixed (not see through ceiling)

aesthetic inspiration attached - it will be open all sides though

thks in advance

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-04-15 at 9.07.01 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-04-15 at 9.07.01 PM.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
I've just built a pergola for 4 x 3m, just using standard tanalised wood, not as modern as your image.
This was largely open at the front (4m side), but had a 1m wide slatted panel from each corner end and a post, so ended up having opening of 2m, similar idea to your image with the black posts, left and right.

Without these, at a 6m length there won't be an easy way to support unless you go to large size timbers, possibly larger that 200mm
200mm+ oak sections will also be heavy.

You could get an idea of what's possible size/cost wise, from here:

https://www.iwood.co.uk/beams/32/oa...MIqtPP2veX9wIVhe7tCh3txwvuEAQYBSABEgIuyPD_BwE

You also need to up size the twin wall, mininum of 16mm in my opinion, 10mm is quite flimsy for a structure like this.

Good luck

Search glulam beams be a lot lighter than oak but they will need some kind of treatment

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

I would really like (my husband) to build a "modern" pergola in our garden.

The pergola is about 80ft from the house so we wanted it to look chunky and not get swallowed up by the garden as such.

The size is 3m deep by 6m long.

By modern i would prefer to have no support at the front i.e. diagonal bracing.

We had thought about using 200mm x 200mm oak posts and then a 6m oak beam horizontal across the front- does anyone have any recommendation on the size beam and feasibility of 6m long run?

I really don't want a support down the middle i.e. 3m as that will change the look significantly but an open to more "support at the side"

I have done lots of google load bearing but it hasn't yielded quite what im looking for, hence my arrival here.

There will be a roof consisting of 10mm twin wall, flooring joists and finished with roofing battens (to kind of hide the twin wall) we didnt want it to have a fixed (not see through ceiling)

aesthetic inspiration attached - it will be open all sides though

thks in advance
Looks like a porch not a pergola ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back