Perimeter related

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a problem with some ground behind our back garden, it's a small strip of land about 2 metres deep and the width of our boundary, which sits between our fence and a small shingle access road for houses behind us.
Problem is currently the earth has been left piled up so anyone walking past can stand on the bank and giving them an easy view over our 6ft rear fence.
We enquired to the council who said they don't own the ground, were not sure what to do next as all we want to do is level off this area so it's the same as next door ie level with the shingle alley.

One slight complication is there's an oak tree down one end of this strip, i fear the 'people with nothing better to do' may pick up on this and cause me trouble if i start levelling soil near this tree.

Any pointers most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
it probably belongs to whoever own the access road, perhaps the houses it leads to.

you could start clearing it and see if anyone complains. if they do say you didn't mean to cause trouble and offer to put the earth back. Barrow it onto your own property so you aren't leaving the site untidy.

If you are giving your fence a coat of stain at the same time you will look like you have a valid reason for being there.

Thanks Johnd for taking the time to reply.

My better half has spoken to land registry and they said the same as you, she said it looks like noone owns it, get digging and see if anyone pipes up! Good plan :cool:

Sponsored Links
Thanks Johnd for taking the time to reply.

My better half has spoken to land registry and they said the same as you, she said it looks like noone owns it, get digging and see if anyone pipes up! Good plan :cool:

Im liking the painting the fence idea :)

Good plan..

I would do the same....just dig it discretely while painting your fence and skip the earth if theres a lot or put it in your flowerbeds..

Its amazing how fast a few tonnes of soil disappears into a large garden ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back