Decking and privacy

C

clm77

At the bottom of the garden we have a 6ft fence and the neighbour opposite has erected decking.

The decking is 3ft above our ground level and their garden table is now in line with the top of the fence and they are at waist height when stood and can easily view over when seated.

The level of their garden was the same as ours once upon a time and I now feel they are towering over us and our privacy has gone. They don't see the problem. Surely there is a law about this, the council says there is nothing they can do.

Am i within my right to place 6ft panels making it 8ft our side and 6ft there side?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, not sure how I made it come up twice. A newbie with the forum and just finding my way round...plus very stressed with neighbours :(

As a general rule you can go to approx 2 metres or 6.56 foot without informing the council on a rear garden. This is just a general rule, but if you inform the council that you want to put the fence to 8ft and tell them the situation, they should have no problems with it at all.

Same thing happened to my brother but on his rear side fence, he went to about 9 feet and the council agreed to it

decking above 300mm needs planning permission
so iff your not happy get them to reduce the height or get retrospective planning permission that you can object to and stop them keeping the deck at that height

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back