planning permission for decking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

the guy next door is in the process of building a very large elevated decking area

its approx 8 metres x 3 metres and 1.5 metres of ground level at is highest point.

this is made worse by the fact that all the gardens in our street are on an incline and our house is lower than his so the decking floor meets the top of our 6 foot fence.

to add insult to his creation he has decided to erect a 6ft fence around 3 sides of his decking which means that the fence combined with ours is 12ft high at is highest point.

he hasnt had planning permission for ths as he thinks you dont half to have it and he said it was done as i objected his request to take 2ft of my newly erected 6ft fence which only stands at 4ft on his side anyway due to the ground level difference!

his creation leaves us (or anyone else) with no privacy whats so ever and to be honest its an absolute eyesore as the guy whos helping him build it hasnt got a clue!

Im so upset about it im thinking of all sorts of crazy stuff to stop the build! so other than smacking this guy into next week and burning down his creation what can i do legally to stop this happening? who do i phone? and how do i go about it?

anyone

Sponsored Links
Pop down to your local Building Control Office (planning deptment) for their free advice, a rough drawing with measurement will also help them.

Edit: spelling error

wasnt something like this mentioned before? answer was tough.

the fence height is as mentioned 6 feet, but measured from his side not yours.

how does his creation leave you no privacy if he has a 6 foot fence on his side which must be between you and him?

Can't see what the problem is if there is a 6 feet fence between the two parties unless he is a 8 feet tall peeping Tom.

H

Sponsored Links
I think you have no grounds, as such, for the fence height.

But you may have grounds for loss of light, speak to your BCO..

Decking, of certain size, height and location may be 'development' and as such may require planning permission.

Also may require building control approval for 'protection from falling' - ie handrails etc.

Call your local planning dept, ask to speak to someone from enforcement, and ask them to come around urgently.

Same for building control.

Planning permission refusals are common for decks which are too high and cause loss of amenity to neighbours

fairly mixed response there guys......... :confused:

maybe these pics will explain things better

image%200008.jpg

image%200006.jpg

Oh dear, take the photo's to the BCO and see what they say.

I am no deck expert but
You may have a case with building Regs, those posts do not look big enough to support that structure so high off the ground. Health and safety issue I reckon.

H

its going to be down to your local planning and their interpretation of the regs. Its no different to what many people have, i dont personally think youll get too far but good luck anyway. As concerns the building regs the only thing they will be concerend with is the lack of a handrail.

Must say after looking at the blown up pics, I agree totally with andyboyo.
Its an eyesore, and the standard of build is appalling.
Are you sure he is building it, and not pulling it down....... ;)

Would not be surprised if the first good gale you get removes it for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back