Permanent Stairs to Future Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just a quick question for everyone.

I should look at doing a loft conversion in the future in my current house, which has a trussed roof and is a 3 year old New Build.

I get bonuses each year and thought that I could get some of the initial work done before I look to do all of it. My thought was to get the stairs installed and the floor reinforced, then looking to do the rest of the loft in stages. There's no rush to do it, but would look to get it done in a couple of years.

Would this work? Or is it better to save up and pay it all in one lump sum? My thought is that if I save it, something else will come along sooner rather than later...

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I see no reason why not, if you want to start using your loft space for storage on a regular bases, i have done the same, as long as you get someone to build them, for you who does stairs, I paid a carpenter who only makes stairs, he charged me around a eleven hundred including all material, hand rails, spindles, and novel posts, and has two kite winders, leads into my loft and I have put a hinged hatch cover for now, so no stair well, eventually of need be the loft can be converted to a proper accommodation, Though i will be honest if later on you invite a loft conversions contractors to give you a quote, it is not going to make much difference in price, they will probably not regard that in price, and give you a quote based on as if they were going to build a stair as well.
This is what one LC contractor told me that even if I have my own stair, it wouldn't make difference by more than a few hundred pounds whereas I have paid eleven hundred for it.

Just make sure that it meets minimum BC requirement with regards to angle and thread and going size and minimum clearance if it is going to cross over any path or stairs below it.

Makes little sense to me, I would just stick you cash each year in an untouchable account or similar so you can't splash out. Then when the time is right get the lot done in one hit. Otherwise you have a house full of dust each year you add a bit more on and the cost will be higher overall. May require planning permission too in a 3 year old house.

A staircase takes up a lot of room, which will be a waste if there is no habitable room at the top of it.

Consider getting Building Regs and Planning Permission before you start, even if you are doing it in stages.

Sponsored Links
In my case I haven't lost any valuable space as it was build above the main staircase leading to first floor, just clears minimum head room above the main stairs, and with two winders it does not intrude any valuable space, i have been fortunate there and can now use plenty of space in my loft for storage. All depends on how is your floor plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back