Loft Conversion - A Bit at a Time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been toying with the idea of getting a loft conversion done for quite a while - really could do with the space.

However, I don't want to get a builder in to do the whole thing - I haven't got the money in one go and don't want to start taking out loans.

I was thinking of getting plans drawn up by architect and then getting it done in stages as and when I've got the money. Has anyone done it this way or am I being daft?

What would the first two stages be?

Stairs to loft, then the steels?

Would my architect be able to tell me what stages I could do the project?

I am really looking at trying to keep my costs down.

Sponsored Links
No you're not been daft. It depends on whet type of loft conversion you want up there. The best thing to do is talk to the architect and get some plans and building regs done and go from there. The steel would go in 1st before the steps as the new floor would be connected to the steel.

Have a look at the loft conversion I just completed and you will get a idea.

//www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php?album_id=14088

I did mine in stages as a diy project
as it was diy i opened up to get the stairs in ( a builder may like to leave this till last to contain dust etc)
then floor joists fitted
then rear dormer exterior weather tight ( on my own this took a week)
The insides

you may find paying in stages cost more in the long run as it will be xxxx jobs rather than one

Thanks - stages it is. Have spare cash coming in January so I shall get some drawings done.

Sponsored Links
No you're not been daft. It depends on whet type of loft conversion you want up there. The best thing to do is talk to the architect and get some plans and building regs done and go from there. The steel would go in 1st before the steps as the new floor would be connected to the steel.

Have a look at the loft conversion I just completed and you will get a idea.

//www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php?album_id=14088[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed looking at your pictures - and it's inspired me to get my project started - thanks.

Usually do the floor first, then the stairs.
If you need steel beams to support the floor, you can get them in 2 or 3 sections and bolt them together in the loft.
Once joists are in, temporarily cover the floor with chipboard, and you've got a good basis for the rest of the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back