Strengthening Loft Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to strengthen our loft floor before laying boarding/floor boards.

At this stage it would just be used for storage but I would like it done so if in future we got a loft conversion the floor would be suitable - if this is even possible?!

Currently there are 6 x 2 joists, approx. 12-15 inches apart (that's a guess from memory I need to measure spacing properly) spanning the floor.

Would I need to get a full design done for a loft conversion to establish what sort of strengthening the floor would need or could a joiner just do this - presumably they would know what strength would be required if a conversion was to be done later?

If a joiner can just do this what would you expect it to cost?

Sponsored Links
No you would need a structural engineer to design a structural solution for the whole loft conversion and then fit just the floor. Typically there is a steel beam done each side and new joists spanning between those. You would also allow for when you build the staircase so an additional trimmer here and there depending on the stair position would be required. And if space is tight as it often is in loft conversions then the stair position/void and the inevitable door at the top or bottom will be critical and a structural engineer will likely not be up to the job of positioning that lot and so a designer would be required for that aspect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back