Loft insulation - roof or floor?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so, if you had a loft that didn't have much insulation in the floor, but, you thought that there might be a chance that in the next 5 years you'd do a loft conversion, would you just put in loft roll insulation on the floor, or fill the rafters with solid boards?

Any idea of the approx. cost difference of the two, based on a 6m by 10m loft space with an apex of about 2.5m?

#confused

My gut feeling is that it would make more sense to go for standard loft roll, but part of me thinks that the latter would make more sense in the longterm. I guess that the rafters might all have to be strengthened if a loft conversion done .... so could be a huge waste?

Sponsored Links
Just fit normal loft insulation at the floor level of the loft, future proofing for a lofty is technically possible but you may end up having to rip it out. Would need to fit continuous ridge ventilation assuming it has a felt underlay for starters.

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_
yeah you will only end up pulling it all out to fit windows or a dormer

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back