Permeable asphalt/tarmac... on a slope?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My front garden slopes gently away from the road toward my house. It's 28 feet / ~8m long and the drop is around 1 foot. It's currently gravel onto bare earth (no sub-base) so I've never had any issues with flooding.

I'd like to put in a new driveway. I do have some constraints though - due to site lay-out there isn't anywhere suitable for a proper Part H compliant soakaway. Also the downpipe for the gutters is on my neighbour's side (semi-detached) so I can't cut into that. As a result, any driveway I put down needs to be permeable, and able to cope with a slight slope.

How permeable is permeable asphalt/tarmac? On my slightly-sloping site would it be permeable to prevent run-off just pooling up against my house?

Are there any mitigations I can put in place to help (short of raising the driveway to remove the slope)?

Sponsored Links
I think raising the driveway is out of the question if it is to run towards your house. Raising by 12" will probably bridge your damp course unless you stopped short of the house wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back