Permeable driveway requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on making sure my driveway conforms to the requirements for permeable surfacing (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/7728/pavingfrontgardens.pdf).

The front garden is approximately 7.3m wide by 4.5-5m deep, pretty much level and currently mainly overgrown with grass/weeds. I was initially thinking of block paving the whole thing with something like Marshalls Tegula as one of the houses down the road has done this and it looks good + provides space for 2 cars. However, I assume theirs was done before the 2008 permeability rules. It looks like now if I wanted to do the same thing I would have to use permeable blocks (not too much of a problem) and a permeable sub base … the permeable sub base (4/20 or DTP 3) seems to be more of a problem as it doesn’t seem to be available in small enough quantities + I’m not sure how easy it is to install correctly (harder to compact)??

The other idea was to gravel over most of the driveway, apart from a path to the front door and a couple of planting areas, with space for just one car (as in the picture below). However, it looks like even with gravel you are meant to use the permeable sub base now, is that right??

If this is the case – how can I get hold of the permeable sub base in small enough quantities? Or what other drainage options do I have? Soakaways are also suggested but these have to be a minimum of 5m away from the house and, as I mentioned, the drive is only 5m deep at its deepest. Could I just slope the sub-base towards the planting area at the front?

Any advice would be great

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back