Block Paving on Sloping Driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm intending to completely renew my driveway which is long enough for three cars in line, but very narrow, so I'm excavating about 1m to the side from a raised front lawn, and will build a small brick retaining wall. The nett addition to the driveway surface means that I will need PP unless I either provide drainage in the form of a soakaway (or similar) or use permeable blocks on a substantial bed of MOT Type 3 or similar.

My problem with the latter is that the driveway slopes towards the road and we have quite heavy clay subsoil. So I would expect that most of the rainwater would immediately flow to the base of the driveway, and spill out onto the road, defeating the object of having permeable blocks.

I wondered whether excavating a soakaway at the base of the driveway itself (adjacent to the footpath) would the the best solution, and use either a drainage channel to catch surface run off from normal blocks, or to lay one pack of permeable blocks at the bottom of the slope, and standard blocks over the remainder. I was thinking something like 600mm x 600mm, the full width of the drive (c2.4m). Does this sound workable?

Sponsored Links
Round here I have just seen 3 driveways (it must be an epidemic) done, all sloping, all on clay and all with drainage channel at the bottom.

Sponsored Links
the suds legislation is ridiculous to the point that a contractor simply has to provide a linear drainage channel with a bucket of pea gravel at one end and it will comply. hence all the pointless aco channels appearing at the end of driveways

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back