Block paving / planning perm / drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon. I'm planning on replacing my existing tarmac driveway, which slopes towards the house and drains into a surface water gulley next to the house, with block paving. I'm also increasing the overall size by about a third.
I've just realised that this involves either getting planning permission (I'm well over 5m2), or putting a soakaway or "rain garden" in. Or do "permeable" block paving which I've no idea about, but I think involves a totally different base at least. Or, I could apply for planning permission to just do it as-is, draining into my existing gulley, but no idea if that'd get approved. Any experiences and opinions of the lesser of the evils here and easist route to take? I could at a push, do a soakaway nearby but wasn't something I was envisioning. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Afternoon. I'm planning on replacing my existing tarmac driveway, which slopes towards the house and drains into a surface water gulley next to the house, with block paving. I'm also increasing the overall size by about a third.
I've just realised that this involves either getting planning permission (I'm well over 5m2), or putting a soakaway or "rain garden" in. Or do "permeable" block paving which I've no idea about, but I think involves a totally different base at least. Or, I could apply for planning permission to just do it as-is, draining into my existing gulley, but no idea if that'd get approved. Any experiences and opinions of the lesser of the evils here and easist route to take? I could at a push, do a soakaway nearby but wasn't something I was envisioning. Cheers.
What the fear of a soakaway?

Nothing really other than not realising I need one, but looks like I do. I can pipe it over to an area closer to the front boundary wall (away from house) and dig it there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back