Gravel driveway sub-base (drainage)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm getting a driveway replaced with gravel - should the sub-base be type 1 or type 3, or does it not matter a great deal for gravel? I'm mainly concerned with drainage/permeability issues...

My builder seems to think type 1 will be fine (and I do think he's speaking from experience!), but I'm still curious to see what the consensus is...

Thanks,
Richard.

Sponsored Links
I used type 1. It's up to 200mm an I had a 4t fully loaded dumper on it a few months back with no problems at all.

Thanks. I wasn't actually clear in my original post, my concern was about the permeability of type 1 - I would imagine most gravel driveways have been laid with type 1 historically, without much flooding trouble?

Sponsored Links
Type 1 isn't classed as permeable. Use a permeable 4/20 sub-base.

type 2 is what would be used under a permeable surface e such as permeable block paving.

You need a much heavier roller to compact it properly though

type 2 is what would be used under a permeable surface e such as permeable block paving.

You need a much heavier roller to compact it properly though
Type 2 is not classed as permeable. The only MOT spec that is permeable is type 3. Use type 3 if you don't mind large 40mm stone or a 4/20 sub-base if you want 20mm stone. Either will do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back