Sub base advise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm preparing to lay a sub base for a 12m by 8m gravel driveway, planning on laying 150mm depth sub base.

Made some inquires about mot type 3 as i'm ideally looking for a permeable sub base and most mentioned mot type 1 reduced fines as an alternative.

Has anyone use reduced fines type 1, whats it like in comparison and will it be suitable.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Gravel - permeable. MOT type1 - mostly permeable.

Are you envisaging an apocalyptic storm?

Sponsored Links
Well, even clay is permeable but you wouldn't think so looking at our garden in winter.
In normal rainfall the water drains off oro drive rather than through it, and it's a normal mot1 plus block paving.
Regarding the open bases i don't see how they would be kept clear, in time they must get silted up and ii don'see that anyone would take them up and clean and relay the base at that point?
If you really want permeable go for that hex mattng that you can grow grass in between and drive over as necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back