Is Mot type 1 permeable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to put chippings down to the side of our house (hopefully I've attached a pic)

It's only 2.4m x 6.5m, my plan is to put some Mot type 1 down as a sub base, layer of sand on top, then gravel grids on top and backfill.

Do I need some sort of drainage/soakaway for this small area or is the Mot type 1 permeable enough for drainage. The wall on the right is retaining if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20180613_190218.jpg
    20180613_190218.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 431
Sponsored Links
Type 1 mot has too many fines.

I believe you need type 3.

Yeah I've read about that thanks, do you think it needs the extra drainage of the type 3? Or will I be ok with the type 1? The front edge is the front lawn

Sponsored Links
Really you should use a 'clean' without fines aggregate.
If compacted well mot1 will cause standing water.
If you have mot1/crusher run to use up, go for it. If you are buying stuff in, pay a little bit more and get the correct graded material.

Do you need a sub base?, I've put gravel grids with 10mm gravel down over soil and it's surprisingly sturdy!.

It isn't classed as permeable on a yes/no type question, but water will get through. It'd be better than clay at least.

No one uses MOT1 on their roofs. Permeability may be able good reason why.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back