Dealing with drain when creating gravel drive

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do not work in the trade, so please excuse this simple question. I would like to remove the grass in our front garden and lay gravel grids down to use it for parking. I read that I need to dig down and create a sub base of about 150mm deep of MOT Type 1, and then lay the gravel grids on top of this. But I have a drain that runs under the front garden, and it looks to be, if not less than, very close to 150mm below the surface.

How can I lay a 150mm sub base with drains like this?

Sponsored Links
I do not work in the trade, so please excuse this simple question. I would like to remove the grass in our front garden and lay gravel grids down to use it for parking. I read that I need to dig down and create a sub base of about 150mm deep of MOT Type 1, and then lay the gravel grids on top of this. But I have a drain that runs under the front garden, and it looks to be, if not less than, very close to 150mm below the surface.

How can I lay a 150mm sub base with drains like this?

Use pea gravel immediately around the drains rather than MOT.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Would it be wise to park a car on top of a clay pipe so close to the surface? You only need to look at them to make them break.

It looks like it's a communal pipe running along the street, so you'll cause trouble if you make it collapse. It will be the responsiblity of your local water company, it might be worth asking them for advice - then if it cracks they can't blame you.

It may need a proper hard surface to spread the load.

• Thanks
Yes @Ivor Windybottom , my worry exactly.

It might be possible for us to stop the gravel at the drain, and use a sleeper to indicate end of parking space. And then infill from drain to the house as a small planted border area. It is slightly less parking space, but might just be enough for a single car, and means not taking on the risk of damaging the drain.

A few more pictures, one with rough guide as to where drain is.

Sponsored Links
In these situations, you would normally lay a thick concrete paving slab over the pipe with some compressible board between them.

• Thanks
It might be possible for us to stop the gravel at the drain, and use a sleeper to indicate end of parking space. And then infill from drain to the house as a small planted border area. It is slightly less parking space, but might just be enough for a single car, and means not taking on the risk of damaging the drain.
I thought about suggesting exactly this, I'd say this is the best idea. If you took the space further then, if someone drives in forwards they're probably going to park with the front wheels/engine pretty much exactly over the pipe. Whatever slabs, gravel and other stuff you use, you're always going to risk crushing it.

As a bonus, I'd say it will also look much better to keep a bit of green in front of your house.. Let nature keep a little bit of the planet.

I'd use something a bit taller than a sleeper, so that if you have reversing sensors they'll beep. Perhaps a little fence, could look quite nice.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back