Hardcore for Sub base - what to do with Brick / Gravel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a summerhouse, roughly 5.5m x 5.2m. I've been told this will need 100/150mm Sub base, with 100/150mm concrete on top. This will be in the form of a slab.

I'm planning on getting the concrete pumped in, as I'm about 50meters away from where the concrete truck will be.

I have about a tonne of bricks in the garden, which I can smash up. I also have around 2 tonnes of gravel, which is around 20mm in size. I will need to order a few tonnes of Type 1 - what do you think is the best way to use this hardcore altogether?

Ideally I'd like to use up the bricks and as much gravel as I could. I don't want to have any voids in the sub base though. Could I throw in a few tonnes of Type 1, mixed with the brick and gravel? Would this compact ok?

Would I be better putting the brick down first, then compacting with a layer of type 1, then gravel mixed with type 1?

My ideal outcome, would be to use as much Gravel & Brick as poss.

Ideas welcome, thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Not a problem. I dropped my chimney from roof to ground floor during our loft conversion. The bricks were used in the sub base for the extension and my garage floor. Don't worry about voids just give it a good compact and dress off with sand compacted also before you put down you DPM.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back