Hardcore and gravel standing area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a parking area that a few years ago was part of my garden. It was landscaped, filled in with a load of rubble from the old patio and garden potting shed and then covered over with other bits of garbage from the garden including soil. The area was then flattened and about 6 tonnes of river gravel put over the top. It was okay for couple of years but constant rain and parking cars over the top has forced the gravel into the debris and the soil has risen to the top. In the winter it has been a quagmire.

What is the best thing to do with this? I don't want to concrete over so a solution based around hardcore and such like is the desired option.

Can someone tell me what I need to do to make this area less sof a mud bath.
How far do I need to dig down?
How do I line the bottom to stop mud rising again?
Is hardcore the best option for the base?
What do I put over the top of the harcore?

What is the calculation of tonnes of materials to cubic metres?

Is there a better economic option?

Thanks[/quote]

Sponsored Links
for a start you need drainage to take surplus water away to a lower point- dig trenches add drainage pipes

gravel does sink in, I have a whole front area that needs redressing every 5 or so years. It will stop eventually.
Otherwise you need to have a proper base layer of rubble compacted , as they would build a road.
Would it not be better to have it slabbed with 2" thick slabs on a base of concrete?. gravel will always sinks with cars on it.
I have tried it for ten years, it don't work

Ian

The problem with slabs is that as the ground is so loose underneath the slabs would move. If I put them on a bed of concrete it would either be too thin and crack due to movement or so thick that it would be against what I am trying to do which is to ensure I don't end up with a back yard at the top of my garden.

Drainae is a nightmare as the ground becomes more and more clay as I dig down. I was hoping that hardcore and gravel on a liner of some sort would help take the water away with the liner stopping the mud coming back up.

terram liner.....type 1 MOT....then thin layer of gravel :idea: have a look @ paving/landscaping sites via google

Sponsored Links
Thanks Nig

Any idea what the fill capacity of the materials is? i.e. tonnes per cubic metre?

Thanks

afraid not :oops: not my specialty.....but it`s been mentioned here before........have a look in the Wiki on the site ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back