Drive way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a rear parking space with large wooden gates, the space is a good size for the car but before we bought the house it was renovated and the builder has basically dumped a load of gravel on the parking space when selling the house. This has now compacted and when it rains the water is settling in the low spots in the gravel. I think it has just been dumped onto soil when he did it. I want to hardcore it then whack a plate it then re gravel. Rather than digging out the old stuff can i hardcore on top and then compact it then gravel. I am able to raise the wooden gates so the height is not an issue and been slighty higher maybe be better because its a private road that leads to my parking area and this is all cut up and muddy etc so my parking space been higher would be be better i assume.
Thanks Lee

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Gravel (in my opinion) is garbage as a finishing layer but it is cheap.

As a sub layer it is ok provided it is fully retained. Give it a chance to escape and it will. This will result in the edges of the drive sinking.

I assume you would go for some other finish, i am only thinking gravel as like you say it's cheap and its not a driveway that people can see at the front of the house its round the rear so thought it did not matter that much

Gravel is ok for the first 6 months or so.

After a while weeds will grow in the undisturbed peripheries and leaves etc in the Autumn will compost themselves in the gravel.

After a few years you will have a garden where once you had gravel.

Gravel also has a tendency to escape and be where you don't want it to be.

Don't set it too deep either, say a maximum of 40mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back