Permission required for extending an existing porch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an existing porch, around 3m2. The main front door is at the entrance to the porch - there is a normal internal non-locking door between the porch and the main house.

We are thinking of increasing the size of the porch, to around 5-6m2 (ie. total increase in size will be <3m2). It will not be within 2m of the road boundary.

Question is, do we require planning permission and/or building regs? Would it make a difference if we simply extend the existing porch or completely replace it?

Thanks for any advice.

Paul

Sponsored Links
I've read that. My question is how an extension to an existing porch is interpreted. Is it the total size of the final porch or the size of the extension which is relevant. The total size will be >3m2 so indicates PP is required, but the size of the extension is <3m2 indicating PP not required.

Under permitted development, the total size of the porch cannot exceed 3m2.
If you have a porch already, you cannot extend that to a size greater than 3m2, without applying to the council for approval.

Sponsored Links
As above, for planning-permission purposes, the existing porch and your new porch would be regarded as one porch, and therefore require p.p.

However, if the existing porch was built with the house (or prior to 1948), then that might be a different matter.

To the best of my knowledge the porch was on the house when it was originally built, circa 1976.

I prefer the idea of building an infinitely deep porch by the assiduous aggregation of 3m lengths of porch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back