Brick porch questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to build a brick porch on the front of our house. Planning portal says maximum of 3m2 (external measurement). Neighbour has just had one built, no planning application (had a look online as wanted to see their plans) and its 2m x 2m.
I've been told as its only cheap to apply for PP to do so as we'd like one the same size. Is it true that as its just a porch a basic hand drawing (to scale) is sufficient, and I wont need to get an architect to draw something up?

And IF we wanted to do away with the existing front door altogether, and widen doorway, it'd be classed as an extension? Just at the ideas stage at present, hence the undecided questions.
Thanks all

Sponsored Links
There is more to a planning application that drawings. Check your council's planning validation criteria.

A porch is an extension. What you are referring to is that removing the front door involves building regulations.

There is more to a planning application that drawings. Check your council's planning validation criteria.

A porch is an extension. What you are referring to is that removing the front door involves building regulations.
Thanks Woody - I’ll take a look (my council is Epping Forest District Council) and the validation criteria.

I was originally thinking of building it as a porch, then once signed off remove the internal door. But for the extra work involved in removing internal door altogether and getting PP and regs, I’ll look into that route.

Am I more likely to get permission granted for a 2m x 2m porch, as opposed to a 2m x 3m ‘extension’ where the existing front door is removed fully and it’s opened up to enlarge the current hallway?

Sponsored Links
my thought but i am no expert
if it is less than needs planning do not apply for planning because permitted must be approved well actually accepted as it is as not needing any further input as complying
where as you apply for planning [approval]you can be refused or conditions you dont want or need applied as you are now in the system like you get an objection to size or design meaning you now have to comply ----but purely my thoughts??

It all depends on what the porch will look like not necessarily the size.

It would need to be in proportion and not be overbearing and not project forward too much if that makes it seem out of place.

Thanks everyone, several houses in my street have larger porches built, 2 of them are almost 4m wide and 2m deep. Will work out preferred size we want and look to apply for PP.
And replace existing front door with an oak internal door, so will need BC as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back