permitted development 50m3 and extensions? confused!

2 Nov 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi we want to do a loft conversion and a two storey extension to our bungalow. i'm getting confused with the new permitted development regs. Does the full development need to be within the 50m3 remit or is this just for the loft conversion. THe extension will be to the rear and only 3m x 3m and to the ridge height. Can anyone tell me if we can do this under permitted development or do we need planning permission?
Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Not too clear what your doing -

This bungalow you have is a semi or detached?
The rear extension (3m depth x 3m width) will have a pitched roof over it? this pitched roof must have a lower ridge line than the existing roof line.
This 2 storey extension sill have dormers will it?
Are you putting dormer windows into this loft conversion on the original section of the house?

Explain what the existing house consists of + what you want at the end.
hi sorry, we have a detached L shaped bungalow. the two storey extension would be filling in the L shape to turn it into a box shaped building, it would have a flat roof which would be at the ridge height of the original building. the roof of the bungalow is currently pitched, the front would stay the same but the rear will now be a continuation of the flat roof. hope this makes some sense? so i dont know if we can do all of this under permitted development and convert the loft or if we need planning permission for it. we just want to extend under permitted development.
doesn't really make sense 100% tbh

You have an L-shaped bungalow, want to put a 2 storey extension on it's rear? this 2 storey extension will include the redevelopment of the existing rear part of this bubglaw? and to top it all off you want to put a flat roof over this new part of the building? so you'll end up with a pitched roof on the front of your building + a flat roof on the 2 storey rear element of it? :eek:

It'll look bl**dy awful mate + you propably wouldn't get planning on it........but you can try if you want to. If you want to redevelop a bungalow to such a large extent you generally have to lift the whole roof (and maintain the pitched roof).............or move house.

If you ONLY want to work within permitted development guidlines then check any host of websites, eg:
Sponsored Links
Hi Peca thanks for your input, i'll try to put some photos in the online album of the bungalow as existing, any ideas of what we can do under permitted development appreciated! I know about the flat roof thing, we don't want to do it but are cornered by the planners who wont let us develop it nicely (in our opinion), and we need the space now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local