1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Existing loft conversion, do I still have allowance for permitted development?

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by Seandaytona, 26 Mar 2021.

1. Seandaytona

Seandaytona

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, i'm looking for advice as cant seem to find the answer easily. I know I have permitted development for doing a single storey 3m extension at the back of our detached house and can even make it far bigger if we wanted. However we did a loft conversion 2 years ago, and seem to remember that this takes some of your permitted development allowance away?

Can anyone advise if this is true?

Many thanks

Sean

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes you have a set permitted amount of new roof volume, so it impacts on new roof volume or dormer volume and is cumulative.

4. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    @ Woods: I'd disagree there;
    there are appeal cases on Planning Jungle in which inspectors have determined that a roof enlargement under class B (eg dormer) is separate from the roof of a class A extension (assuming the dormer and the roof of the extension are not in physical contact).

(If the roof enlargements join, which they might do with a side extension or an extension to a bungalow, then 50m³ is the limit for both combined)