Peugeot Partner Tepee 2010 1.6 Hdi 90 Revving Brakes Soft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above. Wife went into town, reports engine suddenly started to rev on it's own. Brakes went "soft" at the same time. She said she could hear a hissing sound when trying brakes. (Vacuum pipe split / off?)
Restarted, all OK and no recurrance, no fault lights on dash.
Haven't looked yet, I thought I'd post here first.
Any ideas? Particularly the "revving"
Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Gawd :eek:
I'd certainly agree with your servo diagnosis Dave but your van is really far to young for that.....anyway have a good look round that area. With the engine off, evacuate the servo with a few pumps of the pedal and restart, waiting for the pedal to fall.
Is there any drop in brake fluid level? ( Honest!)
John :)

Thanks John.
As you say vehicle isn't that old and hasn't done any miles (27K) and has been garaged. It all looks virtually "new" under the bonnet, bar a bit of dust.
Just been out and had a quick look round. Or at least a look round at what can actually be seen on that engine! :rolleyes:
As expected. Nothing. No dash lights on. Brake fluid where it was a few days ago when I checked. Engine running as normal. Brakes feel normal. I'll try the few pumps with the engine off trick.
Wife said the engine was running cleanly but way too fast. (She said it was like when the throttle return spring went on the Mini)
Why would the two faults be connected though?
ETA: Sounds like a plot from a thriller! Engine goes flat out and brakes fail!
They didn't actually "fail" though just went "soft". Servo not working?

Just to say had another look. As you suggested John, pumped brake before starting. "Pumped up" a bit as expected. Held brake on, and pedal dropped slightly as servo started to work. So I assume that's OK. Had another look under bonnet with a better light, and with engine cover off. Nothing loose / broken / split / pulled off I can see.
How many hoses, pipes, tubes, wires and connectors does one engine need!
I assume that most things to do with the engine proper would show an engine fault light on the dash?

Sponsored Links
Hmmm nothings simple....!
I'm just trying to connect the two symptoms.
If the servo fails, the brake pedal goes rock hard - the brakes still work perfectly well although you wouldn't think so, the pressure they need. Vacuum is provided by a vacuum pump either on the end of the camshaft or in some cases, the alternator.
As for the engine speeding up on its own, well either its the pedal position sensor or the engine has got a whiff of something combustible - hence my brake fluid comment. Presumably the oil level is correct?
For sure, no garage will want to entertain a fault that is no longer there - unless the management lamp came on suddenly and then went off again.
The early engines had a fast idle control that was temperature controlled, increasing idle to 1000 rpm....it sounds like yours was running much faster than that.
Scratching the bonce again!

Oil level's where it was the other day, about one eighth down from full. Service is due soonish, but not overdue. Looks like the vacuum pump is a separate unit on this engine. I don't have a manual though, and it's hard to see down there. belt seems OK, and anyway servo seems to be working. Fluid level is OK as I said.
From what my wife said, I'd guess it was more than a fast idle. "Racing" was how she described it. It stopped when she turned the key off.
I've ordered a new cheapo code reader, as my old one won't read the CAN protocol on this vehicle. Not that the light is showing. Useful to have it though.
As you say John, little point in taking it in at present. It's all OK. . .

(I know about duff servos. My mate at work asked me to do the plugs and points on his Corsair (A rare Crayford estate it was) I went to turn it round as it was parked "nose in" and :eek: The brake pedal was like a board! "I should have told you the servo's gone" sez he "You have to push hard".)

Any hissing from the brake pedal area, or has that stopped too?
Bloomin' nightmare, faults like these :eek:

There's a bit of a small "huff" noise from the passenger side when you push the pedal with the engine off. That's is where the master cylinder is. Stops after the vacuum has gone (presumably).
Is that normal?
Doubt if you'd hear it with the engine running.

Yep Dave that's perfectly normal when the servo is evacuated. At this point the pedal will be at the top of its travel.
I guess you'll just have to wait until the problem returns, if it ever does.....unless other forums can shed some light.

Thanks again John.
I'd assumed that was the servo working. You don't hear these sounds until there's something wrong though.
I might have a go on the Peugeot forum, but I can't see anything over there that sounds like this. One or the other yes, but not both.
I'll post back if I find out anything.

Sponsored Links
Back