Phantom Tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently replaced our old back boiler/tank system with a combi boiler. Occasionally the water pressure drops for a minute or so then comes back on again. I first noticed this when in the shower one day. This is quite random in happening and fortunately not very often. When I was in the kitchen one day there was a sound like someone turning the upstairs tap on and then off again (as its quite a forceful stop/start tap with the new water pressure), it was the pipe leading to the upstairs supply making the noise as the water was stopping and starting. I have also noticed that sometimes there is a humming noise coming from behind the kitchen tap as if water is running to it from another pipe that goes round the kitchen that comes from from the main supply, and when you touch the pipe you can feel that there is water moving, and you can also feel the tap vibrate with the movement of the water, but where is it going? How can water just start moving round the pipes when nothing is turned on? Someone suggested we shared a water supply with our neighbours but this happens when no one is in next door, and also if we were to turn out water stopcock off which all the pipes come off from, then this would surely stop the water to their house too? If I hear the humming noise of the kitchen pipe/tap I can be sure the pressure has dropped but if its quiet then alls well. Our dishwasher is plumbed into the kitchen pipes so could it be the water is going through the dishwasher even though we cant see any visible water but why would it stop start at random. Anybody got any ideas for phantom taps?

Sponsored Links
Shared supply to your neighbours, but theirs is teed off before your stop tap underground, maybe when there washing machine or dishwasher operates when they are out, is what is causing your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back