phase colours?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We use 3C+E SY cable at work for wiring the fans to the inverters for large air-con units.
They buy the stuff that's got 3 black cores with numbers on and we ID them at each end with U V W.
They also make us put brown / grey sleeving on the relavent cores..

Now for the question..

Do you need to / is it wise to sleeve the cores with the "phase" colours considering that it's connected to an inverter and the phase rotation can be switched if needed..?

Sponsored Links
I don't know what the regs say on this (if anything) I regularly work with inverters that can be switched (for motor direction changes) I use all brown conductors from inverter to motor with an ID on each end - L1, L2,L3.

However, the IDs are only to aid fault finding since the phase relationship can change depending on motor direction.

Normally machinery and the like fed from control panels, invertors etc doesn't fall under BS7671. More likely (amongst others) EN60204 which means black for all 3 cores is recommended for power circuits - with the appropriate marking (ie U, V, W in this case)

Sponsored Links
Normally machinery and the like fed from control panels, invertors etc doesn't fall under BS7671.

Exactly, most (but not all) fall under the machinery directive and usually self certified by the manufacturer and/or manufacturers representatives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back