Phone extension doesn't ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3 phones in my house, and as Broadband has finally made it to my neck of the woods, I've fitted an ASDL filter to each outlet.
I appreciate that I should have REN 4 to the property.
However, the final extension phone doesn't ring - the other 2 are fine. The phone works ok apart from no ring tone. If I take out that ASDL filter and plug the phone back in it rings fine - but the broadband packs in.
So - do ASDL filters consume part of my REN allocation? Do I need to fit up a REN booster from Maplins or somewhere?
Thanks for viewing, and any replies appreciated.
Cheers John

Sponsored Links
Have you tried a different phone in the filter at the the final extension location ?

Some phones have a lead that reverses wires 2 and 5 between phone and plug. This doesn't matter if the phone is plugged in to the line directly as a capacitor in the phone connects ringing to the bell.

But if plugged into an ADSL filter that has a ring capacitor inside then with the reversed pins 2 and 5 the capacitor in the filter works against the capacitor in the phone and they cancel out the current to the bell.

Does that phone work if you unplug the other phones?
Does that phone work if you use it with a different filter?
Does that filter work if you use a different phone?
Does that phone and filter work in a different socket?
Does your installation have more than one 'master' socket?

Each plug-in filter derives it's own ringing circuit from the line, which can throw REN calculations out of the window.

IIRC the components in a plug in filter are slightly different values to the ones normally used in a conventional master socket, as it is expected you will only connect one phone to it. Older phones with a higher REN number may not work well with some filters. Sometimes a single phone had a REN number of 4!

IMO a single filter replacing the front plate of an NTE5 is the best scheme, as it splits the DSL signal from the line before your internal wiring. Then you don't need individual filters at every outlet. Trouble is, that may leave the DSL connection point in the wrong place.

Thanks for the replies, gents.
All 3 phones are brand new (BT ones, REN 1 rated). I've also replaced the extension ASDL filter with a new one - no difference. (These were supplied by BT with the broadband hub). The BT Master
isn't the NTE 5, its the older type without the removable lower half.
So, is it worth me changing the master socket for a NTE 5, or is an extension booster the way to go?
Cheers again
John

Sponsored Links
I've also replaced the extension ASDL filter with a new one - no difference. (These were supplied by BT with the broadband hub).

Have you tried swapping with one of the other filters that is working ok? It's not unknown for both new filters supplied with BT hub to be faulty.

hi removable lower half of socket is master socket.take lower half of socket off try broadband in there first and see if you can measure the speed either on router via i.p address or speed test site on web.then move hub/router to where you need it and speed test again.if big difference go wirless on bband and have waklabout cordless phone with base stration in master socket and slaves in 240 volt extensions

steve

and have waklabout cordless phone with base stration in master socket and slaves in 240 volt extensions steve

That will probably leave you without any working telephones when there is a power cut.

Always have one phone connected to the line that will work during power cuts. You may need it in emergency.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back