Phone Line Static and droping Internet Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have started the last few weeks to have drops in my internet and static on my phone line during calls .

When looking at my phone line i see i have a Barrel shaped box rather then a main socket and then the line from that goes in the ceiling and down in the next room

Iv attahed a picture.

2zimucj.jpg

Would i be able to change this to a standered master socket ?

Sponsored Links
That bit of kit is quite old and BT's , it connects the old external DW3 to internal wiring, I suspect it may be the old external witing starting to break down. If you don't have a new nte they should in theory replace and provide cabling to your existing master socket.

I have also just noticed some green corrosion on the left hand side of the bt where the incoming cable is terminated clear this away a bit of kitchen towel will do and make sure the box is dry.

Why not leave it exactly as it is and call BT with fault details.

They should then remove this junction box and replace it with a nice new nte5 all free of charge.

As has already been stated this should be rectified free by BT as it there equipment.

A noisy line is caused by poor connections and corrosion, this noise causes the ADSL to slow due the crackling.

In my experience, 1st the crackling, then slowing of the ADSL then the wire snaps and you lose everything.

Sponsored Links
That box itself doesn't look like the location of the fault - the copper is nice and clean no corrosion. The likely location is outside on the grey wire where it has worn through the insulation.

Lets face it, the fault is likely to be external to the property.

Following all the rain we've just had, it's likely to be underground or in a DP somewhere.

Thanks im going to be updating to fiber in the next week or so surely they will replace at the same time ?

Fiber will not come into the house, it'll end at the closest street cab. to your property, then normal cable to the house.

New fibre does actually enter the house.

I'm talking very new.

Otherwise it is in the CAB at the end of the road.

FTC AND FTP fibre to cab and fibre to premises,both are being rolled out so you may get fibre all the way to your house.The noise is probably coming from the dropwire and will play havoc with your adsl when they upgrade you.Mention it when they install your new fibre install because if they dont fix it the adsl will fail pretty quick and they will have to come back out.

Quick check ...

Pick up a phone and dial just a single digit (eg a 0) to stop the dial tone. It should be quiet.
If you can hear some noise from your ADSL modem/router (check by unplugging it and plug it back in while you listen) then that's a sign of a "dry joint" somewhere between you and the exchange. These are actually not that uncommon, and can act as a non-linear resistance and "tune in" (demodulate) the higher frequencies used by the ADSL in the same way as a "cats whisker" crystal radio set does for AM radio.

Assuming you've unplugged all but the phone you are using for the test, and any extension cabling you may have plugged in, then it's a BT problem. However, it probably needs to be reported through your ISP.

Edit:
When fixed, you may still have slow internet for a few days. It may recover on it's own, you may have to ask your ISP for a "profile reset" - the system that fine tunes your connection speed for stability can get stuck after a fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back