Bad internet connection and crackly phone line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So I have been having issues on and off for about 9 months with my internet connection dropping randomly. Then my phone line went all crackly and can't hear people.

At first sky said it was a problem there end and they sent an engineer to the main box junction box in the village and it was sorted for a couple of months then it started dropping connection again.

I put it down to the sky router and switched suppliers.

Now it has got worse.

I have the router plugged into a slave socket behind my telly, the slave socket is a click mode socket.

Got on the phone to Vodafone who said to plug the phone and router into the test socket on the nte5c master socket and all is working well.

Problem is I need to put the router back behind the telly.

When my brother installed the slave socket the connection for the slave on the front of the master socket didn't work, so he put the wires in with the main incoming wires.

The rest of the cable to the slave has since been buried in my concrete floor and wall in conduit.

Is it ok to piggy back the wires from the main incoming socket on the back of the nte5c? (It was ok for about 6 months before I had issues)

Or could this be causing the issue at the slave?

I'm wondering if the slave socket is faulty but it's a click mode slave and I doubt it, it's only a year.

Sponsored Links
If you have an extension then this could be the problem - it often is.

Can you remove the extension? Doing so may sort the problem out - then you can get some wireless phones with the master at the NTE5 so no need for an extension.

Had a similar issue and when BT had a look at the connection on the telegraph pole, it was lose connections apparently.

Rough weather made it much worse.

If you have an extension then this could be the problem - it often is.

Can you remove the extension? Doing so may sort the problem out - then you can get some wireless phones with the master at the NTE5 so no need for an extension.

I have the extension so I can get the router behind the telly so that I can connect via ethernet on a multitude of equipment.

I was originally going to have the master behind the telly on an internal wall, but was told BT would frown upon that and the master had to be on an external wall.

Sponsored Links
Extensions are often the cause of connection issues - perhaps if you insist on using one then it needs redoing?

I have the router plugged into a slave socket behind my telly, the slave socket is a click mode socket.

Got on the phone to Vodafone who said to plug the phone and router into the test socket on the nte5c master socket and all is working well.

Problem is I need to put the router back behind the telly.

All reads a bit confused....

If everything works as it should, plugged into the rear socket of the master socket, you obviously have an internal fault. Internal faults are not the responsibility of the Telco, it is your problem. If come out and fix it, it is chargeable - a contractor will be cheaper or you can fix it yourself.

If you plug the faceplate in, then your phone into that faceplate and you have problems - then you need to work out whether its the extension wiring connected onto the back of the faceplate, or the faceplate itself. Just trying pulling the extension connection off.

I've fixed it, I moved the master socket to the internal wall and joined the wires to the main incoming cable and removed the slave.

The slave connections on both the .master 5c boxes I have don't work for whatever reason.

The slave didn't like piggybacking off the rear "main" incoming connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back