Phone problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a new house and I connect my phone. When talking to people they suddenly cant hear me at all or it sounds to them that I am in an echo chamber. So I thought duff phone, so trots down to Argos and buys brand new BT phone. Phone does exactly the same thing. When I lose connection if I move around or fiddle with wire into phone it usually returns to being OK. However cannot see that the plug into the phone is loose on either of phones used.
Got BT in to look at line and they spent an hour and found nothing wrong but phone continues to give problems. Any ideas?? :cry:

Sponsored Links
Are you plugging into the BT master socket? Are there any other phone sockets in the house?

Regardless of the answers to these questions there's a simple test you can do. Remove the two screws from the front of the master socket and carefully pull the half-plate away from the rest. You'll find that it has an internal plug on the back of it just like the one on the end of your phone. There may also be wires attached so be careful.

Plug the phone directly into the socket in the box. If this doesn't work then either your phone is a dud or else BT's line has a problem. There is nothing else left. Incidentally, any wires attached to the removable part will be going to other phone outlets around the house. If you are sure you have no such outlets then somebody has cut them off and the bare wire ends can give you all sorts of trouble.

Space cat said:
Are you plugging into the BT master socket? Are there any other phone sockets in the house?

Regardless of the answers to these questions there's a simple test you can do. Remove the two screws from the front of the master socket and carefully pull the half-plate away from the rest. You'll find that it has an internal plug on the back of it just like the one on the end of your phone. There may also be wires attached so be careful.

Plug the phone directly into the socket in the box. If this doesn't work then either your phone is a dud or else BT's line has a problem. There is nothing else left. Incidentally, any wires attached to the removable part will be going to other phone outlets around the house. If you are sure you have no such outlets then somebody has cut them off and the bare wire ends can give you all sorts of trouble.

!!!!!!This ONLY applies if the OP has a newer NTE5 socket!!!!!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back